17 May 2010

one hundred-sixteen.


exploit detroit.

daddy just covered me up in my favorite blanket
and i was slowly falling into a sound sleep.

i didn't know.
i never knew.
they were looking for you.

why did you kill him?
because now, they've killed me.

they broke down our door because their
warrant gave them permission to invade
our privacy - to take my life from me.

they tossed in a flash grenade with a bullet lodge
lingering in the path behind it - and my neck was its target.
and now, my body is lifeless.

they slammed my daddy's face into a pool of my blood and
he. was. helpless. his cheek swam in my blood and his tears.

what made you kill him because now
they have killed me, in the quiet of my sleep.

i was my daddy's only daughter and now ... now he's left
alone. with no little girl. to hold. no little girl. to tuck in.

because you were hiding - not even in the same property we were in.

they treat us like we are criminals - ruthlessly stripping lives away
from innocent bystanders while vindicating their wrongdoings.

now, i am dead.
at the age of seven.
i no longer live.

i was a victim.
even while i was asleep.